Louvre collection at Tokyo museum


On Saturday, I went to Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum in Ueno to see Louvre's Mediterranean 4 millennium collection.

I got ticket form my dad who is on business trip to USA.  It was almost due date of this ticket.

I usually don't like museums in Japan coz they are expensive and have limited number of collections. But this time I liked it a lot.

I love ancient European art history, especially that of Italy coz I've been to Italy several times. I recently became more interested in Mediterranean culture coz their diet is very healthy.

I saw famous Greek red figure vases.
I like the one with the picture of Europe with Zeus in the form of white bull, which was found in Puglia, Italy.

She was definitely beautiful! The rape of Europe theme was everywhere. I think red figure style is much better than black figure to depict details of facial expression.

There were also a lot of Gorgon, Heracles, and Centaurus theme.

In Greece myth, Centaurus was immortal, but he got poison from allow and was suffering forever, so Zeus, pitying on him, transferred  his immortality to Prometheus and made him one of major constellation.

Christianity and Greek mythology seem be the foundation of European culture and history coz they are everywhere in their art works.

There were also interesting spoon in female shape from Egypt.

Greek people's writing translation for Egyptian language helped archaeologist a lot to decipher Hieroglyph. It is interesting that Greek people tried to mix their culture with that of Egypt by writing 2 languages in documents and also making their duties identical with Egyptian or oriental deities, which later became identical with Roman deities.

There was an inscription by son of  Hannibal with picture of goddess of futility and Hermes's snake stick, saying "because God listened his voice and blessed him."

I was impressed by the story of Hannibal, Carthagianian military commander. His army with war elephants crossed Alps to enter north Italy!

He is considered one of great strategist, although in Italy, when people say "Hannibal is at your door" means great danger is coming.









I was impressed by the sculpture of Augustus (63BC-14AD). His hip just look like Ale's, who happened to be Italian! It seemed he promoted art works especially those of marble. No wonder Italy has plenty of great sculptures made of marble. His head looks so small in proportion.





















Going into the Middle age, suddenly there was a funny childish picture of crusader on a plate. He just look like one of unsophisticated Japanese manga character.
What happened in the middle age?

18c saw a boom of Grand tour, trip taken by upper-class European in search of art and culture as educational experience. Here Italy was most importance place to stay; namely Venice and Rome.

I was impressed most by this painting.
Venus Presenting Helen to Paris by Gavin Hamilton 1770-1780


Paris_andHelen_Grotto_ofBuontalenti_5774I was surprised because what I saw in Firenze was also about Paris and Helen.












This was another beautiful painting I was impressed.

Jewish Women at the Balcony, Algiers, 1849

by Théodore Chassériau

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Disney case study

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)

Japanese tea ceremony