My Trip to North Italy, 3rd day (Dec. 30)

On the 3rd day, first they took me to Villa Manin, a villa of Doge of Venice. 


The Doge of Venice was the chief magistrate and leader of the Most Serene Republic of Venice for over a thousand years.  The Republic of Venice existed for over a millennium, from the late 7th century until 1797. 

I heard Napoleone was also there.

I was before 9:30 and still closed, so we just moved on.






Then, I was taken to bazaar where his parents often come to get antiques.



Here Prosciutto San Daniele is famous so we all had its panio. It had a great smell. Of course, proschiuto di Parma is most famous, but this can rank as second. 





Then, only me and my bf headed for Trieste by car, which became my favorite place in this trip.  It was about a hour of drive. Suddenly the beautiful sea appeared. 


 We parked in the city of trieste and walked for castle Miramare



Gate




Miramare Castle is a 19th-century castle built from 1856 to 1860 for Austrian Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian and his wife, Charlotte of Belgium, later Emperor Maximilian I and Empress Carlota of Mexico, based on a design by Carl Junker.

Inside there was a room with Chinese and Japanese drawings with their oriental furnishings. I was so surprised that quite many of castles or palaces had a room dedicated to oriental style. I didn't like my own traditional Japanese arts so much but I this made me to re-appreciate my own culture.



Inside, the ceiling was finely decorated with several kinds of woods. First you will see a room for princess with a small bed in sky blue color and a bathroom with a toilet of wooden chair.
The portrait of princess on the wall was a bit spooky....

Then there was a library and a statue of Icarus and his father. 

In Greek mythologyIcarus is the son of the master craftsman Daedalus. Icarus tried to escape from Crete by means of wings that his father constructed from feathers and wax. He ignored instructions not to fly too close to the sun, and the melting wax caused him to fall into the sea where he drowned. 

Icarus's father Daedalus also built the Labyrinth for King Minos of Crete to imprison the Minotaur, a half-man, half-bull monster born of his wife and the Cretan bull

I guess they decided to put this statue in the library to remind that we human should not be so arrogant to try to reach the level of God. There was a room in the style of Fascism. I was interested to see sudden change in the style of furniture because it suddenly became simple, functional and authoritative.


There were many fine decorated tables with secret drawers called Segreto in Italian meaning secret. I found it very romantic. There were also secret doors leading to chapel.











Then, we went to the center of city Piazza Unità d'Italia (Unity of Italy Square in English). 
It is the main town square in Trieste. It is situated at the foot of the hill containing the castle of San Giusto and the square faces the Adriatic Sea. The square is often said to be Europe's largest square located next to the sea. The square was built during the period when Trieste was the main port of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire and includes the city's municipal buildings and other important palaces.





And we had a walk in the town.
This bank is so old (from 1472), but according to my bf, there are not doing great to keep their business continue nowadays.



We found a tower of bell, so we climbed up.










It was so sad that it was already 4:30 and could not enter the castle museum nearby.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Disney case study

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)

Japanese tea ceremony