My Trip to North Italy, 2nd day (Dec. 29, 2012)

All woke up around 8 and had first breakfast together! I had yogurt, caffe lungo(american coffee), and chocolate croissant (un cornetto).

And then, I took about 1 hour and a half to prepare myself. So we were a bit late to go out.
We were heading to his relatives' houses. First, they took me to nice small town called Asolo.
On the way, his father explained me about historical river called Fiume Piave.




According to Wikipedia,
The Piave river begins in the Alps and flows southeast for 220 km into the Adriatic Sea near the city of Venice.

In 1809 it was the scene of a battle during the Napoleonic Wars, in which Franco-Italian and Austrian forces clashed.
In 1918, during World War I, it was the scene of Battle of the Piave River, the last major Austro-Hungarian attack on the Italian Front, which failed after costing Austria-Hungary nearly 200,000 casualties. The Battle of the Piave was the decisive battle of World War I on the Italian Front. The river it is thus called in Italy Fiume Sacro alla Patria (Sacred River of the Homeland) and is mentioned in the patriotic song "La leggenda del Piave".

I heard that the army of crazy guys called Arditi stopped invasion of German and Austrian people and saved North Italy. 
Arditi was the name adopted by Italian Army elite storm troops of World War I. The name derives from the Italian verb Ardire ("to dare") and translates as "The Daring Ones".

                                   fortress







Then they took me a small nice town called Asolo.








The House of an Italian actress Eleonora Duse  (3 October 1858 – 21 April 1924) .












Then, we arrived one of his relative's house. It was a big house and I heard it has a history of 250 years and used to be restaurant and hospital. I met grandmother and grandfather of his mother side. I was offered very delicious lasagna. 



    cooked chestnut



I was impressed how everyone uses a small knife very skillfully. I think also Japanese people should use a knife by each to get what they want.
Then, we went to another house of ants and uncles. There I gave souvenir of Japanese clothes for the work of patchwork. 2 aunts do a lot of handicraft. I was happy that they really like it. And I also found that one of uncle love painting ,miniature figures of Samurai. He asked me details of samurai, but I couldn't answer! So shame! I have to study about it until next time.

Then we went to another house of his grandmother. She is very kind and nice person. She lives alone, but her daughter lives just next door. then we went a house of her daughter. They are also nice people.

Well, we were quite tired after visiting so many houses.

That night we saw a strange moon. I looked like burning son. It was first time I saw such moon.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Disney case study

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)

Japanese tea ceremony